Thursday, August 18, 2011

Emily Jane's view of Valparaíso


Things here have slowed down a bit as Claire has been under the weather. She's feeling better today but hasn't yet recaptured her sparkle. So I have been spending a lot of time fetching drinks and Advil and watching the world of Valparaíso whirl by. I told Eric that sitting here in front of these windows is like watching television! The ships in the port are always coming and going. If you look away just for a moment, the scene changes. Today, Eric and Sean spotted a submarine pulled up alongside a Chilean battleship.

Here are a few pictures from our in-house photographer, Emily Jane.



Our view out the window looking north.





The little store with the red doors is where the kids get their drinks and snacks. The people are so sweet. At first they were merely polite as they thought we were only there for a day or two. We have now exchanged names and stories. They help me with the numbers in Spanish as numbers are my downfall. 500 pesos is roughly equivalent to a dollar. So by the time I have rewarded each child for summiting Cerro Alegre, I have spent around 2470 pesos. It is a mouthful pronounced in Spanish. At first I would just open my hand and let them pick out what I owed. Now I can give them exact change!!





The lovely port!





The lovely port a while later!





Other beautiful views!




Thank you Emily Jane!!!

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful, everything is so beautiful! I love the market story and I hope Clare is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete