Sunday, August 7, 2011

Dia de Los Niños!

I kid you not. Chile has a Children's Day much like Mother's or Father's Day. The day of dreams for American children. Missy said she was worried about the kids becoming ex-pats. Well, I wasn't worried until today. Claire has been indignant all day. Everywhere we went, thousands of children thronged the streets. All of them in the uniform of the day: in one hand an over-sized bunny balloon with one ear popped, a dripping ice cream cone in the other, and an adorably painted face. Chile does love children! I wish I had pictures but the number of people out and about today was incredible and my hands were too busy holding on to my own niños to take pictures of others!

3 comments:

  1. Julie,

    When you were all little, you would ask why there was Fathers' Day and Mothers' Day but no Kids' Day. The answer was always the same --EVERYDAY IS KIDS' DAY.

    Now, how can a balloon have one ear popped unless it's designed with separate chambers/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told my kids the same thing but they still looked mutinous. As for the balloons, they were like rafts where you blow them up yourself. It was hilarious. I think the ear kept popping because the kids were dragging them around by the ear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it. I knew there was supposed to be a Kid's Day and that the oppressed American kids were not getting their due. I had long suspected that the Macaroni necklaces and paper plate ties we labored to produce were indeed worthy of a horse in return. These Chileans are onto something.

    ReplyDelete